signature

signature

Monday 19 April 2021

MacGyvering my favourite bracelet.

 My favourite wrap-around bracelet died :(


It's happened slowly over the past few weeks. First the hoop parts that you slot the button into to secure it fell apart, so I MacGyver'd it with a zip tie no less and kind of wrapped the zip tie around the broken end and then wrapped that around the button but then today, the button fell off. I'm so sad. I love this bracelet. It hasn't even lasted a whole year. Mind you, I rarely take it off, just when it might get wet, so I have worn it almost non-stop since it arrived. 

It's just one long strand that you wrap around your wrist to look all pretty like:


The leather wore and deteriorated far quicker than I ever would have anticipated. I loved the leather-ness of it but I'm not a leatherworker. I'm a wire wrapper at best, though I'm not supremely good at it. Nonetheless, I love this bracelet enough that I figure I'd try to recreate it using wire instead of leather.


It won't be anywhere near as good and it is going to take me forever but at least I can still have some semblance of the original product, only in silver instead of leather. I'm a silver kind of person, always have been. At least the metal will last a lot longer than the leather, though it probably won't be as comfy to wear all the time as the leather.

It took me just over two hours just to get this far:


So one half done, the other half to go. I actually some garnet and tiger eye beads as well to make it just a bit longer so the button does up at the back of my wrist now instead of the front like it used to. It looks better than I expected actually. It'll do I guess. At least I can still wear it. It does actually make me wonder about making some more bracelets actually with my own choice of crystal beads and other bead. I have SO many beads that just sit around waiting, maybe this is the style of bracelet it's waiting for, though at the moment I'm not sure how I'm going to make the wire attach the button. If I were to make more, I think I'd just use a clasp for it instead.

We'll see I guess. My thumb and pointer finger are quite sore now from all the wrapping and I do have more uni assessments to see to, so this certainly won't be high on my list of priorities. Just for this bracelet though, cause I've become so attached to it.

Until next time, Dear Reader. In Joy!








5 comments:

  1. Well done on the save! What does the button look like, the one you said fell off? And I love your recreation of it in silver wire! Elle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s brilliant! I love how you’ve reincarnated it 💗

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's beautiful and I can understand your love of its leatheriness which would have felt soft and supple over time. But good for you for recreating it in your own way. It's looking really pretty. So much work and love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer about the leather not holding up. I'm glad you've been able to save it and remake it. I hope you share the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so sad when something we love wears out. I absolutely Love that you are reinventing it. It is turning out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?