signature

signature

Thursday 27 May 2021

Be a Unicorn.

 Time to cover up another journal page I wasn't happy for. Actually, it was over the top of the male version of the female with the fruity headpiece I did a few weeks back. I didn't end up taking a photo of him before I gesso'd over the top. All I knew was, I needed something bright in my life. So I got out the Mont Marte neon paints and did this background. You can vaguely see the dude underneath if you look hard enough.

Now originally I wanted to do some black punchinella dots but I couldn't find my punchinella stencils so instead I went with my next favourite for dots... bubbles! But what better way to make the neon colours pop than to put some deep, dark, black contrast over the top!
A friend I met by joining in Effy's blog-along recently has given herself a challenge to use her washi tape. Being a lover of and collector of but rare user of washi tape myself, I decided, stuff it I will use some washi tape in this one. I found these most divine washi tapes awhile back that I barely dare to use because they are so precious but I popped them on this spread because if I use them in my journal, then they will always be there for me to look at later on the page, right?
Oh and I forgot, after I put all that black down, it felt just a little too dark, so I got a lettering stencil and popped some white down over the top along the right edge and squished some onto the middle of the page. The dude was still standing out too much for me so I thought that might help hide him a little better. When I got to this point, I realised I had recently coloured the cutest little rainbow unicorn girl digistamp with my copics and she would go perfectly on this page.

I started with just some light simple laying down of the rainbow to see how it would all fit before adding her horn colours and skin tone, which is interesting because skin tone is usually the first thing I do on my digistamps. I think I was just too excited to give her rainbow hair so I jumped right into that!

This is how she ended up in the end, I outlined her with my trusty black posca pen. When I decided to put her in the spread though I actually decided to fussy cut her! I don't normally, it's far too much effort and far too much precision is needed. In case you don't know, I'm probably the laziest artist in the world. It's why I don't do hyper-realistic stuff, it just takes too much time and I get bored super easy. I think that is also why I love copics, you can get a really beautiful effect without having to spend hours on it! So after fussy cutting her I pasted her onto the page.

See! She is totally perfect for this background. Typical Samm style though is I had to then find some kind of quote to put on the page to finish it off. So I googled Unicorn, Be Yourself, Rainbow quotes and this is the one that appealed the most:
I think it appeals to me so much because I often feel like no matter where I go, no matter what groups, what like-minded people I find, I am yet to find the place where I truly fit. I have parts of me that fit in all sorts of places but I only fit to a point and never fully. So I struggle with that sometimes because sometimes I just want to truly belong but at the same time you know what? I like being a unicorn in a field of horses.


The only real difference between this last photo of the spread and the one before is I put my usual dark border around the outside of the page and around the outside of the digistamp to lift her off the page a little. Otherwise, I'm calling this one done.

I was going to put this on any of the arty blog challenge pages because I didn't think it met the criteria but it occurs to me now that this piece has more than 3 different mediums used in it so it does actually fit More Mixed Media's and Creative Artiste Mixed Media's criteria. While I'm at it I thought I'd also share this one on the A bit More Time To Craft challenge blog as well! 

So here it is another Mixed Media Art Journal page from a Unicorn wandering around in a field of horses.


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful and colourful page, good to see how it evolved. Thanks for joining at More Mixed Media, much appreciated. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching the process of how this page developed. I also like how you used the Copics - my current obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! The black and white really make those bright colors pop. And that unicorn girl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous page! The process photos are great and help understand the processes and techniques used. The end result is a wonderfully colourful page of texture and detail.
    Thank you for joining in with our May challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous Samm! I too am a "rare user" of washi tape, I tell myself that it's a collection and doesn't have to be used lol and I hear you on the fitting in part, I really don't feel like I "fit" where I am now and it's making me desperate to move. Elle xx

    ReplyDelete

What say you?