signature

signature

Friday 4 June 2021

Butterfly Love

It's June so do you know what that means? It means we have another theme from the gang over at Art Journal Journey! The lovely Mia from Craftartista is the guest host who has chosen the theme BUTTERFLIES! 

I LOVE BUTTERFLIES!

Butterflies are so very symbolic for me. They represent new growth, new beginnings, transformation. They represent the complete and utter destruction of who I once was only to emerge a newer and freer version of myself. They represent the fleeting moments of beauty in my life. They represent the struggle, the unknown, the dissolution of what was and the creation of a new way of existing in the world and so much more. So I love, love, love this theme so much. 

Of course, if you've read any of my blog at all you know I'm also obsessed with digistamps and I just so happened to have these two butterfly ones already printed out on my copic blending paper ready and waiting to go before I even knew this month's theme. So what better chance to use them than this, amiright?!
I started with some of the red tones in the copic range to colour in the roses and loved the colours so much I added a bit to the other flutter as well.
From there I wanted to add some bright yellow to help the rose one pop.
I decided black was just a little too dark so I just went with dark purples for the outline sections and then voila! Two pretty copic coloured digi butterfly stamps to add to a journal spread!
I went flipping through the journal I'm currently working in to see if there was an old spread I wanted to cover up but it seems I've covered all the ones I want to cover, for now. I did find this palette page though, you know, the page where you clean off and lay down the excess products from another page?
So from there I filled in the white spots of the page and gesso'd over the top of it. I added some normal ink stamps and this is why I love digistamps over these because no matter how much I ink them up or press them down, they just don't give me the nice crisp lines I love so much. 
I decided it was time to use some of my Lumiere's before they all dry up in their little pots and seeing as I was doing butterflies I thought why not do a little garden border thing. I started with the vines and then began to build up the flowers and add dots, dots and more dots because dots are awesome.
Once I had put enough petal layers on the flowers I got out my irRESISTible inks and gave them a bit of an outline and some more swirls n curls n dots.
Then I added one of the digistamp girls from The Paper Shelter and glued in the butterflies.
Then, as I do, I darkened the edges, added a pithy quote that feels really relevant to my life right now as I step into being an art therapist and sharing myself with the world, added a bunch more dots because DOTS! Then called it done.
No doubt there will be more butterfly-themed spreads through the month but I'm pretty darn happy with the first one for the month and I ask you, is there something you are avoiding that might be holding you back? Time to unfurl your wings and fly!


















 

11 comments:

  1. You made a fabulous page, Samm. I love the way you made your background (I like using my scrap papers too) and how beautifully your build up your garden scene. Thank you so much, my friend.for joining my challenge at AJJ. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butterflies too, and you page is wonderful. That border is amazing (even the little lady you snuck in) and I love how the butterflies are the star of the page. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Art Journal JOurney for Mia's challenge. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the butterflies and you expressed that wonderfully about them and the journal page turned out beautiful! Wonderful post!
    Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a conflicting relationship with butterflies :D And that's okay I guess.
    I really like the page you created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely page!!! I love butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colouring of the butterflies and then a super journal page. Loved seeing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is FABULOUS! Love the colours, and your beautiful butterflies! You put a lot of work and thought into this. Thanks so much for joining us at AJJ, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I love your flowers and butterflies! This is a dreamy summer page. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soe beautiful creating and coloring! Love those butterflies! Great border and great images. Lovely page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful page you made with your butterflies - gorgeous colours, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched as your beautiful page unfolded, and enjoyed every minute. You colored the butterflies so well and the use of the Lumiere was brilliant. I never seem to have any mop up pages, but you put yours to great use. Thanks so much for sharing this first beauty this month at Art Journal Journey using Mia's theme.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?